Friday, September 17, 2010

Live in Concert: Willie Nelson


Last night I saw Willie Nelson live at the Puyallup Fair. (Don't worry about trying to pronounce "Puyallup", I always mess it up.) I've been a Willie fan for a long time, but I don't think I developed a full appreciation for his music until I became an adult. I think you sort of have to go through the ringer a bit before you can fully enjoy Willie.

Even at the age of 77 Willie can still entertain. The guy is pretty animated on stage, and he goes through about a dozen or so red bandannas per show. He played a ninety minute set without any pauses, plunging directly into the next song after one was finished. He more or less alternated between his sad songs and his upbeat, snappy ones throughout the set, mixing in some covers of songs by Hank Williams, Ray Charles and Waylon Jennings. Towards the end, he played a couple of his newer songs, I Ain't Superman, and You Don't Think I'm Funny Anymore. Both of those songs were new to me, fantastic and pretty damn funny too.

Willie played most of my faves, with the exception of my personal favorite, Me and Paul. Still, it was a totally awesome performance, and one I'll never forget. Easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Not to mention, I got to hang out at the State Fair afterwards. Bonus!

Grade: A+


2 comments:

anjali said...

Too many pain pills too much pot Tryin to be something that I'm not
Superman Superman
Tryin to do more than I can
I ain't Superman

Well I blew my throat and I blew my tour
I wound up sippin on soup d'jour
I wasn't Superman I wasn't Superman

loves it!

Ryan said...

Sing it Willie!