Thursday, March 3, 2011

Publication Date set for A Dance With Dragons!

HUGE news hit the interwebs today while I was still tucked into bed.  George R.R. Martin set a publication date for the long awaited A Dance with Dragons!  Here's what the man had to say:

 No.  Sorry.  Not done yet.
 I'm close, though.  Watch this space.  When the book is done, you will read it here.    Meanwhile... there is news.  Big news.  The end
is in sight, at long long last, and we're close enough so that my editors and publishers at Bantam Spectra have set an actual publication date.

 
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS will be in your favorite bookstore on 

TUESDAY, JULY 12, 2011

Yes, I know.  You've all seen publication dates before: dates in 2007, 2008, 2009.  None of those were ever hard dates, however.  Most of them... well, call it wishful thinking, boundless optimism, cockeyed dreams, honest mistakes, whatever you like. 

This date is different.   This date is real.  

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12.  I hope you like it.
(For what it's worth, the book's a monster.  Think A STORM OF SWORDS.)

The dragons are coming.  Prepare to dance.

And hey... thanks for waiting. 

―George R.R. Martin, March 3, 2011

Wow!  Pretty exciting.  Given the three month turn around between turning the book in and getting it printed that I've heard about, that would mean George only has about a month more of writing to do.  Yay!  That will be pretty awesome.  I've been looking forward to this book for ages, so I cant wait to get my hands on it.  I think I should probably squeeze in a re-read of A Feast for Crows just so I make sure I remember everything correctly.  Ahhh, so sweet! 

2 comments:

Justin said...

And I thought hell was going to freeze over before this book came out. It looks like this is going to be the Year of George RR Martin. I'm still curious about the HBO series and if it's going to closely follow the books or have its own story lines and just try to capture the spirit of the books.

Ryan said...

Hey, even Chinese Democracy came out eventually, so I had faith in GRRM. The show looks awesome. From what I heard one season = one book, so hopefully they can keep things fairly accurate. Though I know the "kids" are all older than they are in the books.